The events were sanctioned by the Washington DC Region of the Sports Car Club of America and entrants included some of the most notable racers of the day, including Carroll Shelby (pictured in his winning Ferrari 4.5 liter with local organizer Dr. Skitarelic in the striped shirt on right) and Duncaan Black, founder of Black and Decker
While the Breakneck Road Hillclimb was short lived, many hill climbs of this golden era have survived or been revived in the Mid Atlantic, including Hershey, Giants Despair, Duryea and Clarks Summit, all in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association continues to organize and promote these events, under various sanctions and local organizing committees.
Recently, the Sports Car Club of America has instituted a new category of speed events called Time Trials. Hillclimbs are among the events that are now being sanctioned as part of the SCCA Time Trials program. This event is an SCCA Time Trial.
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
National Road Autosport is a limited liability corporation formed by Allegany County Maryland sports car enthusiasts to promote the revival of sports car racing in Western Maryland as an economic development activity. National Road has successfully established and currently operates the Miller Lite Cumberland Airport Autocross Series to honor the heritage of the 1953-1971 Cumberland Nationals Sports Car Races. The Cumberland Airport Autocross series attracts 1,300 entrants annually to 14 days of competition. Beneficiaries include the Short Gap Lions Club, the Allegany County Library, Mineral County United Way and the local tourism and hospitality industry.
POLISH MOUNTAIN HILLCLIMB HIGHLIGHTS
- To be conducted on a 1.2 mile stretch of Gilpin Road on the Western face of Polish Mountain just east of Flintstone, MD
- Dates are August 7-8, 2009
- Sanctioned and operated by the Steel Cities Region of the Sports Car Club of America and part of the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association Series
- Requires the closure of Gilpin Road and State Route 144 for two days and the active involvement and approval of state and local public safety and law enforcement agencies
- Will include the active support of the Flintstone Volunteer Fire Company and will be a fund raiser for that organization
- Expected to attract between 75 and 100 entrants and significant media coverage